Because of my experiences growing up, predictably, I gave, and didn't give, my children what I thought I should have had, or not had, when I was growing up. I made many mistakes which I will share another day. Right now, I want to share my "zuf" recipe. I have seen this basic, peasant fare dolled up with eggs, cream, truffles and foie gras. By the way, I was irritated to find that Jamie Oliver put this recipe out there also, not vegan but close enough!
- 1/2 organic winter.squash like kabocha, buttercup or butternut, cubed
- enough water to more than cover the squash
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of org. cornmeal (more or less)
- rice milk, almond milk or soy milk (optional)
- bit of maple syrup or rice syrup (optional)
- roasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional)
If you are giving this to very small children, omit the salt.