I feel very blessed to have studied with Michio over the years. He was a great man, inspiring, full of enthusiasm and endless energy I don't know anyone who could keep up with him. I never heard him utter an unkind word. He never tired of teaching even though it must have been exasperating to repeat the same things over and over. After the Fukushima disaster, he said that many friends (old timers by now) were asking him how to protect against radiation. He did say that they should know by now: miso soup, brown rice, sea vegetables, cooked greens, umeboshi etc. I thought I sensed a bit of despair in his voice that we were still asking these kind of questions!
I would like to express my gratitude to Michio for dedicating his life to nourish my dream. I didn't even know I had a dream until I came across first Georges Ohsawa and then Michio's teaching. I can never repay my gratitude but I will do my best to keep his teachings alive through our efforts at my little macro centre here in Toronto.
I last saw Michio in March of last year. I travelled from the Kushi Institute to Framingham with other Level 3 students for a private session with Michio. I had not seen Michio since the 2012 summer conference. This time, when Michio entered the room, I was overcome with emotion and the overwheming feeling that this was the last time I would be in his physical presence. It was difficult for me to maintain my composure throughout the hour long talk. So I focused on writing down every word he said. Here is part of his message from that day:
- Always be open minded and listen to the people, nature and
- observe people,nature, all universal movement;
- do not speak much, especially ladies please be careful; when people speak, listen more and speak afterwards; 1/3 or 1/5 you talk; not you talk, talk, talk;
- surround yourself with clean and order-desk, papers, closet etc. clean and orderly; handbag very messy and looking nice on the outside, don't do;
- dressing: should not be luxurious but neat and orderly and fitting your type; some macros wear cotton clothing, like wrapping up Roman togas; the mind(sic) is off and not normal to society; fitting to your style; quality on skin be cotton; outer garment, some mix OK;
- should be able to cook, very important, regardless if it's man or woman; even old time counselors, especially males, cannot cook; some can cook but not everyone; you are not counselor, because, unless you can cook, you don't know what kind of dishes you recommend, what type of taste, miso, vegetables etc; in order to help that sick person get better; unless you can cook, you are not a counselor;
- teaching: purpose is to make people healthy and well being so teachers must also know how to cook; especially if married, you cook, sometimes sharing, sometimes changing bu both can cook but eat together; marriage: eat same type of food together; family-eat same type of food together; if eat same type of food, then we are family, same blood, same thinking, same action; our purpose is to make healthy, peaceful minded persons developing spiritually throughout the world and sharing healthy good food and changing our blood and having similar type of thinking; not concerned about color, religion, nationality etc; we are concerned about people's blood, cells, whole body and whole way of thinking; we are concerned about quality and human being; famous people appear in system; good quality of people with good quality blood are very, very few; also, among political leaders, quality of blood not good; whatever you do, quality of food should be good; then intuition and thinking will become clear; happens we get trouble, go to to the world here and there; if not have $, wherever you go; go to other countries, other cultures especially when you are young, before getting married, go here and there; hard labour, dish washing etc. studies, to experience various things;
NEXT: try to see famous, leading persons, people in the world who are influencing society-you choose yourself-person I'd like to see you if you have time-10 minutes if you have time etc.; in that way up to 30 years old, I met many famous people; write letters and ask for their teaching "please talk about this" "what should I do?" "I don't know the answer" etc.; constantly learning is needed; as you grow, comes good common sense,wisdom, judgment coming and automatically, naturally comes out your love for the people; people and me are one and the same; brotherhood/sisterhood;
WHAT IS LOVE? many people get love and desire mixed up; man and woman love is desire; Jesus said "the highest love is to die for that person" we are all one:
"FOR ONE OR FOR THEM I BECOME FOOD NOURISHING THEIR DREAM AND DIE"
1. mother's love
2. WWII: soldiers who dedicated their lives to their country and died-thought their death would help their country and their people.
I don't mind to die.
In old days when I taught in Brookline. we are seeing only one dimension but there are many different ways of seeing: front, back, top, from inside to outside and v.v.; all the different ways of seeing and then different ideas and understanding about object; also, when we see people, things we see only one way, not other way so we can't understand whole things; we are also prejudiced and discriminating and misjudging all the time; we are doing this because we don't see everything;
Then Michio spoke at length about heaven's force and earth's force, left and right, front and back and facial diagnosis.
He finished off by saying:
Discover by thinking, by observing. 88 years old but know nothing but can think, speculate, imagine but doesn't know anything; really study, discern secret of universe, it's endless; learn from other people but you discover much more that is important; I learned many things from teachers, grade school and up; but more and more discerned myself and learned for 60 years that way and became able to teach, advise, suggest etc. life is continuous study; endlessly seek secrets of the universe; wonderful adventure; make discovery for many people's happiness;
learn also the difference between left and right!
Farewell Michio.. Please know that you are well loved, and continue to have fun!